12-step Framework for PCI Data Security Standards
The PCI Security Standards Council issued a 12-step framework for PCI Data Security Standards. Any business that stores, processes or transmits payment cardholder data must be PCI DSS compliant. The framework addresses assessment, remediation and reporting.
Build and maintain a secure network
1. Install and maintain a firewall configuration to protect cardholder data.
2. Do not use vendor-supplied defaults for system passwords and other security parameters.
Protect cardholder data
3. Protect stored data.
4. Encrypt transmission of cardholder data across open, public networks.
Maintain a vulnerability management program
5. Use and regularly update anti-virus software.
6. Develop and maintain secure systems and applications.
Implement strong access control measures
7. Restrict access to cardholder data by business need-to-know.
8. Assign a unique ID to each person with computer access.
9. Restrict physical access to cardholder data.
Regulatory monitor and test networks
10. Track and monitor all access to network resources and cardholder data.
11. Regularly test security systems and processes
Maintain an information security policy
12. Maintain a policy the addresses information security